Q1. How much DME coconut oil can a single DME unit produce in a day?
Q2. What markets are available?
Q3. Are Stainless Steel tops necessary?
Q4. What fuel is required for the dryer?
Q5. Can I sell DME oil as a Biofuel?
Q6. What Free fatty acid levels can I expect at production?
Q7. How many litres can a DME mill produce per hour?
Q8. What kind of management skills are required to run the DME unit?
Q9. How many nuts per day would I need or How many nut to make one litre of DME oil?
Q10. How many nuts to make one litre of DME oil?
Q11. What other things can I produce with the press?
Q12. What construction materials are required for setup?
Q13. Is Organic Certification necessary?
Q14. Where is Kokonut Pacific located?
Q15. Where can I buy your Coconut Products?
Q1. How much DME® coconut oil can a single DME® unit produce in a day? top
A DME® unit can produce up to 50 litres per day. This is with skilled staff where an average 4 to 5 operators are required working There are people who have produced more than this with less staff but they are extra good.
Average roll off times of as low as 8 minutes are achievable and production rates of 6+litres per hour. We have seen two people produce 50L in 4 days without rushing around too much.
Q2. What markets are available? top
There are many markets available for your coconut oil. DME® high-quality virgin oil is sought after worldwide as a medicinal health oil, cooking oil, soap oil, baby & massage oil and biofuel.
However, a word of warning is that local stable markets should be the source of your bread and butter income, export markets are volatile and risky with fluctuating exchange rates, rising freight costs and strong competition as other DME® operators have found. Export may be a good place for your excess oil but you should establish your local markets first. Value adding to the primary product can greatly increase your profits, particularly on local markets.
Consider these secondary products for
- The Oil - Soap, selling in small bottles as cooking oil, Massage oil, Baby Oil
- The Meal - Cake and biscuit ingredients, Chook Pellets, Animal food, desiccated coconut
- The water - vinegar, soy sauce, nata de cocoa
- The husk - rope, doormats, coir
- The shells - charcoal briquettes and pellets, charcoal shells, activated carbon filters
- For more uses see our Uses Chart
Q3. Are Stainless Steel tops necessary? top
Stainless steel tops don't rust when the unit is not being used and they are much easier to keep clean than iron tops. If you are not worried about Organic certification then 2mm galvanised tops are OK.
Q4. What fuel is required for the dryer? top
Q5. Can I sell DME® oil as a Biofuel? top
The answer to this question is a matter of economics. You need to look at the going price for cooking oil and diesel and kerosene fuel in your area. If cooking oil sells for $4 a litre and diesel can be purchased for $1 a litre then you won't be able to sell you biofuel for more than one $1 per litre. However in areas where the price of diesel is greater than cooking oil then biofuel is a realistic market. Coconut oil is an excellent diesel fuel substitute and you may need to use it yourself when the roads or transport is cut off in the rainy season but remember diesels require very clean and well settled fuels with low free fatty acid levels. See our biofuel page
Q6. What Free fatty acid levels can I expect at production? top
The free fatty acid (FFA) levels depend on a number of factors to do with cleanliness and using the right coconuts.
- The oil must be made from mature coconuts between 12-15 months old. Older nuts have a much higher free fatty acid levels.
- Grated coconut must be processed within the hour and not left lying around in the hot sun or FFA levels will rise.
- All buckets and storage containers must be washed out properly and not be reused with old oil in them.
- Stored oil must not be left in direct sunlight.
Then using Stainless steel tops, you should get FFA levels < .05%
Q7. How many litres can a DME® mill produce per hour? top
For detailed answers to this question relevant to your own location, use our Site Calculator and see how economic a business would be before you start
Q8. What kind of management skills are required to run the DME® unit? top
Management needs to be divided up into the following areas.
- Production at the factory floor - you need to be a good people manager, able to overcome people problems, local jealousies etc and maintain good morale.
- Marketing - You need to be able to converse with marketing agents, processing factories and find markets and people who need your products.
- Financial - You need to be able to handle money wisely.
- always pay your workers on time.
- don't go into too much debt to expand your business.
- always be saving up for unseen maintenance costs and replacement of worn equipment and unexpected bills.
- calculate your costs carefully before going into any new venture. NOT after you get there.
- You can cost out a DME® operation before starting, you need to know
- For detailed answers to this question relevant to your own location, use our Site Calculator and see how economic a business in your area would be before you start
- the selling price of the oil
- the cost of your coconuts
- the cost of your labour, fuel, electricity
- how much it costs you to produce 1 litre of oil
- transport costs
Q9. How many nuts per day would I need? top
The number of coconuts per day can be calculated from by calculating how many nuts per litre you would get. Coconuts per litre can vary from 6 to 25 depending on
- the size of the coconuts
- the thickness of the meat
- the maturity of the coconuts
- the efficiency and experience of the workers
In general, nuts that are
- 200mm diameter may yield 6-10 coconuts per litre
- 100mm diameter may yield 11-14 coconuts per litre
- 75-80mm diameter may yield 15-22 coconuts per litre
Q10. How much will it cost me to set up a DME® unit? top
There are a number of ways to approach an installation and a number of DME® kits that are optional according to your situation. All of these can greatly affect the installation price of the units
- You may need to build a shed or you might modify an existing one
- You may choose stainless steel or iron for the top of your dryer
- You may use the recommended training scheme of Kokonut Pacific or you may choose to train yourself using the manuals.
- Freight costs and airfares vary greatly around the world and these will have a big effect on the cost price.
Q11. What other things can I produce with my equipment? top
- You can produce coconut cream for events such as weddings etc with your press, by just grating the meal and pressing it inside a large sock in the cylinder (leaving out the drying process).
- You can add water to the press cake (the leftover cake in the cylinder after the oil is pressed, repack the cylinder and press out a low-fat coconut milk (similar to almond milk)
- You can be a supplier of freshly grated coconut to boarding schools and food outlets.
- There are some other soft nuts that you can press in the DME® press.
Q12. What construction materials are required for setup? top
For the shed, typical shed building materials are required such as roofing, timber and cement foundations. There are specific dryer materials that we can supply. The dryer is often custom made to suit different available materials in different parts of the world. We can help advise you on the best option for your specific circumstances.
Q13. Is Organic Certification necessary? top
Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is very popular in the Western Nations for medicinal and heath products. Many customers now specifically request organic certification. However, there is a huge local market on your doorstep that does not require organic certification by supplying your countries needs in cooking oil, soap, massage oils, skincare oil etc. This is the best market for main income and we reiterate the export business warning in Q2 above.
Q14. Where is Kokonut Pacific located? top
In Canberra, the capital city of Australia. See our contact page for details
See what equipment is supplied with a kit here.
Q15. Where can I buy your Coconut Products? top
We sell coconut oil and other coconut products as retail products within Australia via our Niulife brand. Visit our online shop and see our stockists list at www.niulife.com.au